Tableau at Anthony Middle School
This strategy is a theater based technique used across curricular areas. Artists & teachers work with students to enact stories building comprehension, visualization, problem solving, creative writing & classroom engagement skills.
View this video to learn more!
Tableau, a French word, means a dramatic scene or picture. This theater based technique can be adapted as an effective educational strategy for learning across content areas. Students use their bodies and expression to create a picture of a character or event frozen in a moment in time. Artist and teachers work together to help students enact the vocabulary and understand the stories main idea. Students build their understanding through creative problem solving and group discussion. Teachers are learning new strategies from the artist to support their teaching. This strategy can be applied to fiction and non-fiction writing, social studies, science, or visual art.
Sample Tableau Lesson
Standards and Skills:
Literacy Standards: Reading
- Ask and answer questions about key details in a text.
- Retell stories, including key details, and demonstrate understanding of their central message or lesson.
- Describe characters, settings, and major events in a story, using key details.
Language Arts Skills:
- Story Structure (beginning, middle, end)
- Finding Evidence
- Impressionistic Conversation
- Vocabulary Acquisition
- Main Idea
- Title or Theme Characters, Setting, Plot
Critical Thinking and Reading Strategies:
- Making Inferences
- Using Prior Knowledge
- Making Connections (Text to Text, Text to Self, Text to World)
- Synthesize Information
- Asking Questions
- Visualize Analyze
Theater Arts Standards:
- Create images or express ideas through the use of movement, sound and language.
- Revise a creation based on the feedback of others.
Theater Arts Skills:
- Actor’s Tools
- Hard Focus
- Soft Focus
- Actor’s Neutral
|Teaching and Learning Skills:
- Inquiry-based Teaching
- Embedded Reflection
- Finding Evidence
- Close Observation
- Reflective Protocols (Descriptive Review, Critical Response, Tuning Protocol)
Tableau Student Samples